Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Global Village

Having travelled some and even worked abroad, I have always had an interest in non-U.S. culture. One nice thing about modern technology and the internet is the way it makes gathering information about and communication with others in other areas of the world (and ones own country) so immediate. I just came back from visiting the U.K. for two weeks; and while I was there, I fell in love with some of the programing they play on BBC2 Radio. Thanks to the internet, I can download podcasts of my favorite shows or even listen to it live. Yes, this not a very extreme example; but it does show how technology does bring us together, allowing me to expose myself to another (although sometimes very similar and pop oriented) cultures in real time.


Someatimes I think that technology (communication via the internet) has a rather equalizing affect. As long as one has access to and a moderate amount of equipment, regardelss of class, education, religious or political beliefes, one can electronically explore the world and find space to express oneself for all (who have access) to see and hear. Yet while watching a journalist on CNN or BBC news the other day, she reported from some small village in India or Pakistan while shoeless children with soiled clothes and no assurance of three meals a day as the price of rice doubles gather around her and one can here cell phones ringing in their midst. Yes, technology is finding its way to the remotest parts of the planet, but that doesn't necessarily mean it brings equality in socio-economic ways. Curious how one can aquire access to cell phones and computers yet still be concerned about finding enough food and adiquate healthcare.

No comments: